In our last episode of How to Podcast from Your Mac with Skype I discussed how to record Skype conversations for your podcast and today I’ll show you how to publish your podcast using iWeb so that it is available on iTunes. This episode assumes you have a MobileMe account, but you can still achieve the same results with your own domain.
Basic Steps to publish your podcast from Your Mac using iWeb include:
- Create your audio in Garageband and either Share with iWeb or save to a file
- Open a new Site in iWeb, choose a theme, and choose the Podcast template
- Change the name of your Site, Page, and entry to include the title of your podcast and any keywords to reflect your subject
- Update the podcast page title, description, and image. This is information captured in the iTunes store for your podcast name and cover art
- Update the podcast episode entry title, description and image
- Import the audio and image for the episode (this is automatically done is you started in Garageband Share with iWeb)
- Open Inspector>RSS>Podcast and update the podcast series and episode author, email, parental advisory, and Publish to iTunes Store settings
- Update your site publishing settings to MobileMe (or other destination depending on your preference)
- Publish the entire site
- Choose File>Submit Podcast to iTunes, check settings and select Publish and Submit.
- To add an additional episode, create your audio in Garageband and Share with iWeb to automatically create a new entry on your site.
At this point you will get a confirmation email from Apple that your podcast submission request is being reviewed. Within 24-48 you will get notification that it has been accepted or denied. If accepted, Apple will provide a link to your podcast on the iTunes store, which you can begin to share immediately on your website, email, Facebook, etc. Your podcast will begin to show up in search results on iTunes within another 24 hours.
Congratulations! You now have a podcast on iTunes that people can subscribe to and enjoy for free!
Just getting started with podcast on your Mac? Check out previous episodes:
- Part I – How to Podcast from Your Mac (equipment and software)
- Part II – How to Podcast from Your Mac (GarageBand)
- Part III – How to Podcast from Your Mac (Recording Skype Conversations and Interviews)
What do you think? Does this process make sense and is this an easy approach to podcast from your Mac with iWeb? Let me know how it goes!